As the temp rises, so does your AC bills. To keep your air conditioning bills down you might be wondering, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Phoenix?
It’s a popular belief that turning your air conditioner on and off [[throughout the day is inefficient. This is actually not true.
Keeping your air conditioning on all the time means you’re not using it very efficiently. We recommend setting your thermostat higher when you’re away, and lowering it when you return. You can do this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat can do the job for you.
It’s a lot more work for your system to keep a consistent setting throughout the day. It can also result in a lot of wear and tear to your equipment, since it’s repeatedly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your electricity bills, it may also cause a reduced life cycle for your AC.
No matter what, the larger the difference between your indoor temperature and the outside temperature, the greater your energy expenses will be. So, what can you do to keep cool and keep your utility bills down in the summer season? Here are our ideas based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Approaches to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Adjust Your Thermostat. The DOE says that you can conserve up to 10% per year on heating and cooling by turning up your thermostat 7-10 degrees when you’re out. During the summer, it’s suggested to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees while you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s additionally important to abstain from setting your thermostat to a colder setting than usual when you turn on your AC. This doesn’t actually cool down your residence any sooner, it just causes more expensive electric bills. While these temperatures may appear toasty, there are a number of methods to keep comfortable without having to constantly run the air conditioning.
- Use Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says raising the thermostat by only 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lower air conditioning costs by up to 14% during the course of the summer. It’s important to keep in mind that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you exit the room, turn the fan off to be energy efficient. Furthermore, keeping blinds down and curtains closed throughout the day helps keep chilled air indoors. There are also some window solutions made to deliver added insulation and boost energy efficiency.
- Adequately Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky gaps throughout a residence let conditioned air to easily escape and the heat to get within. This may lead to your AC unit being required to work harder to keep your house cooler and your utility costs to increase. Check that any gaps, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are simple solutions for leaks or drafts around windows and doors.
- Plan for Regular Tune-Ups. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your unit is always running at its most efficient. This lets our experts to detect small issues before they become major troubles. A clean AC is typically more efficient and could even last for a longer period of time.
- Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat. One of the best approaches to ensure comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively adapts the temperature based on your everyday schedule. It works along with your smartphone to know when you’re at your house or elsewhere to optimize your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR mentions that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 annually on energy expenses.
- Consider Replacing Your AC. You can foresee an adequately taken care of air conditioner to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re frequently contacting us for air conditioning repair or your AC expenses are climbing with no altering in thermostat settings, it could be time for a new system. We carry many energy-efficient air conditioners, including ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without trading comfort.
Improve Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Integrity AC & Heating LLC
No one likes to see their electricity bill rise during the summer season. If you’re wanting more ways to keep your energy use and costs low this summer, our pros can help. Give us a call at 602-971-0567 or contact us online right away for additional information.