As the heat increases, so does your energy costs. To keep your AC costs down you may be wondering, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Phoenix?
It’s a popular belief that turning your AC on and off throughout the day is inefficient. This is actually false.
Keeping your AC running all the time means you’re not using it very efficiently. We advise moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re out, and turning it back down when you return. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat can do everything for you.
It’s a lot more laborious for your system to keep a consistent temp throughout the day. It can also result in a lot of stress on your air conditioner, since it’s repeatedly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it can also cause a shorter life expectancy for your AC.
Regardless, the bigger the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your AC expenses will be. So, what can you do to stay cool and keep your utility bills low in the summer season? Here are our suggestions based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
Six Ways to Enhance Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Modify Your Thermostat. The DOE states that you can conserve up to 10% per year on heating and cooling by turning up your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re away at work. During the summer, it’s suggested to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees when you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re away. It’s also important to abstain from setting your thermostat to a colder setting than normal when you turn on your AC. This doesn’t actually cool down your house any sooner, it just causes bigger energy bills. While these temperatures could appear toasty, there are a number of methods to keep cooler without having to constantly run the AC unit.
- Use Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says dialing up the thermostat by just 2 degrees and utilizing your ceiling fan can lower AC by up to 14% over the course of the cooling season. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not rooms. So, when you head out of the room, turn the fan off to conserve energy. Furthermore, keeping blinds lowered and curtains drawn for the duration of the day helps keep cooler air inside. There are also some window coverings designed to deliver additional insulation and improve energy efficiency.
- Adequately Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks throughout a home enable conditioned air to quickly get out and warmer air to get inside. This can result in your AC equipment having to work harder to keep your residence comfortable and your AC bills to increase. Make certain that any gaps, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are easy fixes for leaks or drafts around windows and doors.
- Plan for Regular Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your AC is always running at its most efficient. This permits our professionals to find little issues before they turn into serious troubles. A clean air conditioner is typically more efficient and can even last for a longer period of time.
- Install a Smart Thermostat. One of the greatest methods to assure comfort and efficiency is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat instinctively adjusts the temperature based on your everyday schedule. It works together with your smartphone to notice when you’re at home or away to enhance your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR says that a smart thermostat could actually save you about $180 per year on heating and cooling costs.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioner. You can foresee a properly taken care of air conditioner to live for 15-20 years. But if you’re regularly calling us for air conditioning repair or your energy bills are climbing with no change in thermostat settings, it might be time for a replacement. We supply many energy-efficient air conditioners, including ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without negotiating comfort.
Enhance Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Integrity AC & Heating LLC
No one enjoys seeing their utility bill climb during the warm months. If you’re looking for more ways to keep your energy consumption and bills lower this summer, our team can help. Give us a call at 602-971-0567 or contact us online today for additional info.